Wednesday, July 11, 2007

TIC Day #4 - (Tuesday's Inspirational Challenge) Let's Trade - ATCs (Artist Trading Cards)

Hi Everyone! I know I'm a little late on my TIC. I'm sorry that I didn't post it yesterday! Honestly, I couldn't think of one that others would like to participate in. I don't want it to be too much of a challenge that no one would like to try it out but at the same time, I wanted it to be a challenge that would encourage others who have never tried it before.

I thought that my TIC for this week should be "ATCs". Why? I've had people email me and ask me what an ATC was. Not everyone knows what it is.

What is an ATC? ATC stands for "Artist Trading Card". The purpose of an ATC is just what it stands for. . .TRADING not SELLING.

Artists create original work on a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" card. Most ATCs in the past were real work of art, not rubber stamping (not that rubber stamping is not real art). What I mean is people would draw, paint, collage, their work on these tiny cards and trade them with others as originals. Usually they were single trades because each design were different. With rubber stamping, ATCs have expanded and people who rubber stamp trade series of the same designs and call them "limited editions" meaning they only created a certain set of these cards and trade them with the series numbered such as 1 out 10, 2 out of 10, etc.

Here is an easy way to create 10 sets of ATC cards on one 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock. Cut on the 8 1/2" side of the card stock at 2 1/2 inch. . .do this two times and you will be left with a 3 1/2 x 11" strip. Cut each of the 2 1/2" strips at 3 1/2". You will be left with (3) 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" card base for your ATC for each of the 2 1/2" strips for a total of 6 ATCs. Cut the 3 1/2" strip at 2 1/2" to create (4) 3 1/2 x 2 1/2" ATCs. All together you will have 10 ATC base. Got it?

Here are the rules for the TIC Day #5:

  • Create an ATC with at least 1 mat (a piece of cardstock layered over the ATC base)
  • Your ATC should have at least one embellishment (ribbon, brad, sticker, etc)
  • No limitation on the card design or theme
  • You may stamp, draw, paper piece, scrapbook (you may use a picture).

Email the picture of your ATC to lbmcd66@hotmail.com or comment on this post with your blog URL of your submission. All ATCs must be submitted by Sunday 12:00 pst. ATCs with Stampin Up designs will be posted on Stampin Inspirations and ATCs other than Stampin Up will be posted on Card Inspired.

This time, I will send an ATC to all participants. Please send me via email your mailing address when submitting your picture of your submission so I can send you an ATC.

Another set I had to make for an ATC swap! I really hope they like it. I carefully colored each image with Prismacolor Pencils with Gamsol. Whenever I swap with people, I always make them with the best effort I can to create a trade that they will like. I know of people who complain about the "shoddy" cards they receive from others. I can understand their frustration, especially when you had put in a lot of work to create your trade; it can be disappointing to receive a trade that obviously shows the person just slapped a card together just so they can receive one of better quality.

I guess if you can't put in the time to create a quality trade, then don't trade. Make a card that you, yourself would like to receive. It's just a matter of being considerate.

When trading with others. . .please put in effort in your work so others will want to continue trading with you.






4 comments:

Michele Kovack said...

What great little cards! Your coloring is incredible!!!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Your ATC's are soooo adorable. Love the patterned paper, and that mouse is too cute! I am someone who gets frustrated with some of the quality of cards/ATC's I receive, and because of that, I have cut way back on swaps. What to know how hooked I am on your swaps? Didn't wait for your subscription to hit my mailbox -- I woke up and went to your blog first thing on Tuesday, and again after supper. This ATC challenge should be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Another great ATC. TFS! Here is mine :o)
http://stampnmad.typepad.com/mad_stamper/2007/07/friday-challeng.html
Happy Stamping!

Cat said...

I'm new at this ATC thing, but here's one I made this week.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/608921?cat=500&ppuser=4155

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |