Monday, January 11, 2010

Textured Images and Alcohol Ink Tutorial and European Trip - City of Bath

Hi Friends! Happy Monday to all of you! I'm sorry I haven't posted anything for a week. I've been nursing my cold for the past week. I was feeling better at one point but then sort of had a relapse. I finally started feeling better again yesterday. So much better that I created a card and a video tutorial! Whoohoo! Scroll down for the tutorial.

Remember I said that I was going to start creating video tutorials again, mainly because my husband bought me the Sony Vegas video program for Christmas and well, I have to use it. I didn't have any plans initially to start creating video tutorials again. But. . .it's a good thing. . it's something different for me to do. Besides, it's fun sharing ideas with all of you.

I'm not really good at creating video tutorials but bear with me. Hopefully, I'll improve with time. . .if not, oh well!

What is the tutorial about? Well. . .it's nothing really new but I wanted to create a bit of texture to my flowers and find a way to color my images really quickly. I call this technique "Textured Images and Alcohol Ink". The texture is created through heat embossing.

One of my goals this year as far as crafting is concerned is to work with "stamping techniques" more often. With the popularity of Copic Markers, we've sort of, well I have been neglecting the use of other stamping techniques to color and enhance stamped images and I want to go back to using various coloring mediums. Besides, if I don't use my other coloring mediums, they'll dry up and well, that would be a waste. Be sure to scroll down to check out the video tutorial if you want to try out this technique.

Hey, not to get off the subject but I'm currently reading the book "Creating Your Best Life - The Ultimate Life List Guide". The book is basically about enhancing your life by creating life lists to help boost your happiness level. Did you know that based on scientific studies, your level of happiness is 50% genetic, 10% circumstance and life situations, and 40% is up to you? Although I'm already happy with my life, there's always room for improvement. I'm only on chapter 3 but I'll let you know as I follow the book's recommendations if it will actually help me be a happier person.

One recommendation to help boost your happiness is "journaling". I've been journaling since childhood so it's nothing new to me but I think I need to do a more "focused" journaling and not just writing what I feel and think. One of the recommended journaling includes "scrapbooking". I think that is something I can do or maybe I can start an art journal. Sounds like a plan, huh!

Anyway. . .below is the tutorial. Check it out!

Card Details:

Stamp: Stampin Up Flower Fancy
Paper: Stampin Up Pink Passion, Certainly Celery, K&CO designer paper
Ink: Stampin Up Cameo Coral, Pink Passion, Scribbles Iridescent Paint
Accessories: Nestabilities, SU Ribbon, SU Large Oval Punch, Fiskar Scallop Scissors







European Trip - England City of Bath


After traveling to other parts of England, I realized there's more to England than London. Prior to my trip I've never had the desire to visit other areas of the UK mainly because I never really knew anything about England other than London.

The City of Bath is about a 3 hour drive west of London and it was built by the Romans in AD 43 primarily as a spa resort. Boy, those Romans were ahead of their time, huh? Did you know that London was originally built by the Romans? In London, there is a 1 square mile of the original "City of London" that the Romans built. I believe it's where St. Paul's Cathedral is located.

The city of Bath was named after the "Roman Bath Houses'. The picture above shows the original bath house that the Romans built. It's funny because it's situated next to a church. LOL! It's an amazing bath house. Unfortunately, today. . .I don't recommend that you jump into the water. . .you may end up getting infected by some sort of bacteria. We were told to avoid touching the water because it contains run offs from the streets and such. Ugggh!

This is a photo of part of the city. The building were built similar to those seen in Rome because, well. . .the Romans built the city! LOL! It's a BEAUTIFUL city and if I ever visit England again, I will definitely stay a few days in this city.

The center of town has many many shops. The one thing I've gathered about Europe is they have many beautiful shops. Not large Kmart type of stores but small specialty stores. It's wonderful! You don't see too many of the specialty stores in the US anymore. We're all about large department stores and malls. That's too bad because it's really fun to walk into a small shop that sells only one type of item, such as bags only. . .I even stepped into a shop that sold only Christmas ornaments. I collect ornaments so I went hog wild in this shop! It was fun!


This photo was taken at the "Bath Abbey" which is adjacent to the building where the bath house is located. I guess after you take a bath, you go to church!

I hope you don't get sick of my postings of my trip because I have 7 more countries to cover! LOL! I'll get to a few interesting things in later posts. . .based on my observations about European culture and the differences and similarities to American culture. I found this aspect of Europe the most fascinating.

I have a lot of catching up to do, crafting and life wise. Being sick has really set me back but that's okay. . .I'll recover and will be in full swing in no time!!! Hope you all have a beautiful Monday!

19 comments:

Danni said...

Gorgeous card and wonderful photos!

Becky said...

This is a wonderful card, and you did wonderful on the tutorial, practice makes perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic tutorial!
Love the pictures too.

de said...

BEAUTIFUL card! I love all the pictures you've been sharing from your trip! Welcome back and glad you are feeling better!

Whimcees said...

Happy to see you back and feeling better! Great photos! Thanks for sharing! Wishing you a good week!

Barbara Diane

Penny Wessenauer (d0npen) said...

thanks so much for the great tutorial. I have stamped for years, but have never come across this exact coloring technique..Excellent tutorial, fun to watch.. I'm looking forward to more..

Glad to read that you're feeling better.. I have also been enjoying your travel photos.. Lovely shots..

Many thank for all your inspiration!!
xxooxx Penny

Ila said...

Gorgeous card and tutorial!!...I love the photos...This is all so interesting Maria...Hope your feeling better soon!!..Hugs, Ila

Do What You Love said...

I do so love all the photos from your European vacation, Maria - fantastic shots and great stories of where you've been and what each place is. You gave a great visual. I loved the tutorial and will be trying those flowers - thanks for sharing! ;D

Sheri Gilson said...

Beautiful card Maria!!

Donna said...

Maria...enjoying your vacation pictures. I look forward to seeing all of them!

Denise said...

Wow Maria,
This is one Very Beautiful card!! Stunning. Love the vibrant pink.
Hugs,
Denise

Vicki G said...

Beautiful Card Maria. I am totally loving your pictures and thoughts on your vakay and anticipating the next stop on the tour!

Hugs


Vicki

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Maria, You are so modest! You say you're not good at videos, but I tell ya, you are fabulous! I love this new technique of yours, madly. Your card looks so stunning. I sure hope you feel better soon; I'm just getting over what feels like a "super cold" myself. It can really knock you out! Get well hugs, :o) mel

2 Worlds said...

Thanks for the tutorial MAria
Great pictures beautiful places

Nicola said...

Seeing your pictures of Bath brings back so many memories. It was one of my favorite places to go growing up. I am so glad you got to see more of the UK than just London.

Hugs
Nic

Anonymous said...

Maria, thank you for taking the time to make the tutorial, especially when you feel so yucky! The technique was wonderful and I loved the cards. Don't be so hard on yourself you are doing an AMAZING job. Thank you!

Unknown said...

First of all, your card is beautiful and thank you for sharing this wonderful technique! I found your blog through the forum on SCS! Secondly, thanks for the photo's of Bath! It truly is a beautiful city. That is where my hubby and I had our honeymoon nearly 21 years ago! Thanks for the memories:)

Unknown said...

I thought I had left a comment, but I don't know what happened to it. First, your card is beautiful! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! I will have to try this. Second, thanks for the photos of Bath. They brought back wonderful memories as my hubby and I had our honeymoon there almost 21 years ago!!

Unknown said...

Maria, I went to Bath a few years ago and had a great time. So nice to go outside of London, like Stone Henge. I hope you went there... it gave me goose bumps! I promised my daughter I'd take her to England after her HS graduation in 2012 -- Olympic time! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |