Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Flutter by Wednesday Challenge and Gift Bag Topper Tutorial


Hi Friends! I created this project for Flutter by Wednesday Challenge. I'm the guest designer this week at Flutter by Wednesday. Whoohoo! Thanks Danni. . .I'm honored to be your guest designer this week.

The challenge this week is to create a card or project with a flower and butterfly image. I had colored the huge SU "From the Garden" image but after I colored it, I realized it was too large to fit on to a standard sized card so I had to improvise a bit. Instead of making a card, I decided to create a "Gift Bag Topper".

Besides, I'm trying to create pdf files for all my old tutorials so this was a great opportunity to convert this tutorial. I, initially, created it for my Stampin Up blog site but now that I no longer post on that blog, this will be a good time to transfer it to this blog site.


Hey. . .I watercolored the image with my "Twinkling H2O" which I haven't done in such a long time. Yay! No Copic Marker coloring this time around! I've been wondering when I'll use a different color medium. I'm so accustomed to pulling out my Copic Markers that I'm sort of neglecting my other coloring mediums.

In person, the shading and highlights show up better. . .I love my camera but sometimes it seems my coloring on my photos appear flat. I think it has to do with my lighting. The only time it really shows the shading and highlights are with close up shots.

Anyway. . .I really had fun creating this gift bag topper.

Lookie. . .do you see the butterfly? LOL! He is so tiny compared to the big flower that he sort of got lost in there.

Anyway, stop by Danni's (Danni's Dream) blog site and play along in the challenge.

Check out the fabulous cards created by the other talented designers:

Don't forget to scroll down and check out the tutorial if you want to try this project out. It's SUPAH EASY! No kidding!!
Also, check out my Dr. Pea-nut card . . .you'll probably be able to relate (scroll down to the previous post).

Project Details:

Stamps: Stampin Up From the Garden, Beautiful Butterflies, Upsy Daisy
Paper: MME Designer paper, SU Certainly Celery, Pixie Pink
Ink: Twinkling H2O
Accessories: Stickles Glitter, JoAnn Brads, Grosgrain Ribbon, JoAnn Metal tag embellishment


With the tutorial below, if you want to print it, click on the drop menu that is labeled "iPaper". It'll give you the option to print. You may view a full page of the tutorial by clicking on the icon to the very top right corner. It'll open up a new window with the tutorial. If you just want to enlarge directly on the blog, click on the + button or the magnifying glass! Anyway, try the tutorial out when you have a chance!



21 comments:

Tina said...

that is a cute topper - I have tried making toppers in the past but they are vintage Stampin Up! style - nopthing like this. Gorgeous...thanks for stopping by my blog and the sweet comments.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, Maria! This is so nice! Thanks for sharing!!!

Sharon said...

Wow gorgeous vibrant colours on the flower Maria. Great topper!!

Heather Schlatter said...

Maria,

I was blown away on Danni's Blog by your project!!! Then when I came here and read the post and realized it was that old SU hostess set I was even more blown away!!!

I would never have thought you could do this with that set!!! Amazing I love your coloring and I love the bag topper too!!!

You did an amazing job on this girl and I love it!!!

Heather

Joy said...

WOW! amazing job you did on this challenge! love the butterfly the coloring and thanks for the tutorial! it's great!

Sharon Caudle said...

Wow! This is really pretty, Maria! that flower is just gorgeous and love that butterfly! What a FABULOUS gift bag!! Hugs!

Cassie said...

this is gorgeous. and amazing. and magnificent.
i love how you colored your image - and added that butterfly = what a good idea!!!

Danni said...

Thank you again for being my guest designer! Your gift bag topper is simply gorgeous and so creative! Love it!!
You're awesome!

Cindy Haffner said...

Great instructions Maria, I love your gift bag. Love your coloring. I always use my copic markers, just to lazy to pull anything else out. Hugs Cindy

CraftyC said...

Your bag is stunning Maria, you have a lovely blog!
Clairex

Jodi said...

Very pretty bag! I love the colors, how you colored it and decorated it! Everything looks so pretty!! So glad you were our guest designer this week!! =)
Hugs,
Jodi =)

Cathy said...

Hey Maria,

Thanks for being out guest designer this week!! Your bag is amazing. So beautiful and vibrant!! Super cute and great tutorial too!

Hugs, Cathy

CreativeMish said...

This is such a pretty gift bag idea! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!

Kristie W. said...

what a cute bag topper!! Thanks for stopping by my blog :D

Elena said...

It is so beauitful! I love your watercoloring, Maria! Thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial! I love the way how you uploaded it!

Michelle said...

WOW what a beautiful topper! Your work is so amazing - I just love the coloring of your creation!!

Glad to have you as a guest designer - you are one talented lady!

Shelly said...

It was such a nice surprise to find you were the guest designer for the Flutter By Challenge. Your bag is lovely. Thank you for the tutorial.

Janna said...

Maria, I need somebody to pick me up off the floor this bag topper is just too beautiful! First of all I just love this idea! It dresses up a plain bag but then they can keep your beautiful creation! But your coloring is out of this world! Wow. wow, wow! Where does your talent end? The flower and butterfly look so real! Can't wait to attempt this!

And a big congrats on being a guest designer! That is awesome!!!

Smiles,
janna

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my Maria, those flowers are wonderfully coloured...so pretty!

Thanks for the tutorial too!

You are so generous with your creativity!!!

Mary said...

Hi Maria,
Great job.... again! TFS

Sugarpink Icing said...

I luv the bag, iam looking for goodie bag for my daughter's birthday. . . ive found it now. tq for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |