Friday, October 17, 2008

It Felt Like Christmas Today

Oh, I have the most sweetest husband, ever! For the past three years since moving to California from Hawaii, from time to time, I would tell my husband that I missed the Dobash cake in Hawaii and I can't find any bakery in California that makes it. A few weeks ago, I was telling my kids and husband how yummy the cake was and why I love it so much. . .I mean, they've eaten it themselves but they thought I was so hilarious the way I was talking about it. LOL!

I know it's silly but I really love Dobash cake. In Hawaii, it's a "typical" cake that we'd buy for birthdays and such. . .no big deal if you live there. It's funny when you move away from somewhere and you become fixated on something as simple as a cake when you know you can't find it where you currently live.

A few weeks ago, I had spoken to an employee at a store that sold Italian food products. They sell fresh homemade pizzas and I asked him which pizza he recommended. He began describing how delicious their pizzas were and what was so special about them. He told me that when he moved to the US several years ago, he ate a pizza here in the US and he didn't like it and thought that he would probably never eat another pizza. . .well, pizza as he knew it unless he traveled back to Italy. When he came to work for this Italian store/restaurant, he said he was so happy because they made pizzas like they did in Italy.

Well, I feel the same way about the Dobash cake! LOL! There's a lot of things I miss about Hawaii, one of which is the food. Arggghh! Anyway. . .about 30 minutes ago, we got a knock at the door and it was the Fed Ex guy. There were two big boxes from Zippys. . .a restaurant in Hawaii. I didn't really think much about it because we've ordered from them before. To make a long story short. . .I was up in my craft room and my daughter called me down to the kitchen. I went downstairs and there was a box on the kitchen counter. I looked at it and again, I didn't think much about it.

I was like "what?". . ."why did you call me down?" and my husband pointed at the box and said "read it". . .I looked at it and read "DOBASH". . .OMG! I felt like I received a beautiful Christmas present. Too funny! I was so happy. I was surprised because I didn't know that the restaurant delivered cakes. Okay. . .lemme' tell ya'. . .because it's a food product that is perishable, it needs to be delivered same day which cost 3X the amount of the product itself. I believe the delivery cost for just a cake is about $30. I mean, how badly do you want a $15 cake? LOL! Personally, I would never buy it for myself but my sweet husband wanted to make me happy.

Anyway. . .we cut up the cake and I ate a super big slice! It was sooooooooooo yummy! You know. . .sometimes the simplest things in life can really make such a difference. I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful husband.

27 comments:

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

Awww, that was sooo sweet of your Hubby!
Enjoy your cake... and have an extra slice too!
xoxo, margie

Rita said...

How sweet of your hubby for wanting
to please his wife! Ymmmmmm it looks delish!!! Enjoy!

Catherine said...

aaawww, how sweet is your husband...he's a keeper :) and that cake sure do look delicious!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet husband. Enjoy your cake.

Tonniece said...

OMG Maria, what a sweet and special thing for your hubby to do.
You are one lucky woman. And as the commercial says "Your Worth It"

Looks so delish too.

Happy Saturday

CreativeMish said...

What a great story! The cake looks very good! My husband is frm the midwest and talks the same way. He has a whole list of things hes constantly having his family ship to us.

Little C's Creations said...

OMG Girl!!! My mouth watered the whole way through reading your post. Um... YEA... who DOESN'T LOVE DOBASH!?!?? I didn't realize that they didn't make Dobash up there, until you commented on my blog the other day. Man... what a real treat for you. I'm soooo happy that DH surprised you - people don't really, I mean REALLY know what and how ono this cake is. No worry... when you come down - I promise, a Dobash will be at the BBQ we will have at our gathering.... you are coming, right? LOL!!!

Enjoy that yummy cake girl...

Hugs,
Jen

Ida said...

What a great suprise! - I've never heard of Dobash Cake so had to look it up. There are many recipes for this cake so I'll have to find one and try it out.

Diane said...

OMG! That is so nice of him!!!
Now that is TRUE LOVE!!!!
It looks delicious Maria,no wonder you miss it!!!

Free Spirit said...

Ahhhhh! That is so sweet. Did you give him a reward, back rub or something more ???? The things we do for love !!!

AnnMarie said...

Hang on to that one, Maria! He sounds like a gem!

Elena said...

Oh, that is wonderful story! Your husband really loves you! This cake looks so delicious! Really like a Christmas Miracle!

Anonymous said...

That's one of the nicest stories EVER!! What a man you have...SO thoughtful. I'm glad you enjoyed your cake! That is such a sweet thing for him to do. I hope he got a really big hug!!! :D
Have a great weekend!

Teri said...

Yummy!! Your husband is sooo sweet to order you a dobash cake! Of course, one of our favorites! I read Jen's post...when's the BBQ? I'll pick up the cake!!

Rabbit said...

Sounds like you husband is a definite keeper! Hope you enjoyed your cake down to the last crumb!

Lisa Olson said...

Oh my gosh your cake looks amazing do think it will travel well to the UK!!! LOL!!

Crissy said...

Oh that looks Yummy! What a sweet dh you have.

Colleen said...

The cakes looks yummy. I did not know that you could order some thing from Zippy's in Hawaii and have it delivered to you in CA.

I have been to Hawaii for vacation 7 times-once every year for our anniversary until my daughter was born. It is my hubby and my favorite place away from home. Unfortunately we have not been back to visit for 2 years. Even though we are not from Hawaii we miss their ono food too. Hawaiian food in Hawaii taste much better than most restaurants in CA. (We miss their deserts too especially the malasadas.)By the way, my hubby and I really like the food at a place called Aloha Boiler in Monrovia and Back to Lahaina in Carson. Have you been to either one of those restaurants?
I met Jen and Teri in Hawaii through their blogs and we have been keeping in touch for about half a year now. Teri and I have spoken on the phone twice and we hit it off. When you lived in Hawaii did you hang out with Jen and Teri?

Tracy.H said...

I have never had one, but that sure looks yummy!! I would say that your hubby is definitely a keeper!! :0)

Dawn Easton said...

awwwww Maria, that brought tears to my eyes to hear what a sweet family you have!!! That cake does look yummy!

Ellie said...

OH GIVE A BIGGGGG HUG to your hubby for me that IS THE SWEETEST THING!! sounded like those "priceless" commerials!

Now you made me curious about that cake girl! lol


HUGS!!!

-Ellie

Risa said...

Your husband is a sweetheart Maria!
Enjoy your cake and have an extra slice for me:)

Ila said...

Awww...what a lovely thing for your hubby to do...he's a Keeper for sure!! Thanks so much for sharing this Maria!! and yum that cake looks mouth watering!!..Hugs, Ila

Jennifer Love said...

Awww...isn't he the sweetest?!

And our grocery store here makes a good Dobash cake..if you're ever in San Francisco. LOL I didn't know it was a Hawaiian thing...I just knew that the cake was yummy. hah!

specialcraftmom4 said...

Enjoy your yummy cake (: Now I want to try it, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a sweet guy! This cake does look delish.

Debby said...

What a sweet story. Sounds like dh is a keeper. Love your blog btw. Read yoiu regularly just don't get a chance to comment much. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |