Sunday, December 30, 2007

Simple Card and Crafting Goals for 2008

Hi Everybody! One of my crafting goals for 2008 is to make "simple" cards. . .you know. .. no designer paper, very little embellishments, no excessive layering. . .just basically straight stamping. Ooooh, it's hard.

I really admire cardmakers who make simple cards and are able to make them look beautiful. I have difficulties with simple cards because I always feel that something is missing. Well, I tried but I still couldn't avoid adding a little layer and some bling.


What are your crafting goals for 2008? I have a top 10 list. . .I would be interested in yours. Comment on this post with your top ten list and I will randomly (Random.org) choose one person to receive this card.

Here is my top 10 Crafting Goals for 2008:


1. Create at least one "simple" card a week (like the one above).
2. Create a card/project using another blogger's sketch or tutorial at least once a week.
3. Participate in SCS challenges at least once a week.
4. Try a new technique that I've never tried before.
5. Create at least one "scrappy" project a week.
6. Scrapbook one layout a week.
7. Create a tutorial once a week.
8. Unmount my wooden stamps and store them in folders (10 pages a week)
9. Use ALL of my stamps, tools, materials at least once this year.
10. Alter something once a week.


Anyway, here is the card at a side angle. I wanted to show the 3D effect of the sentiment, rhinestone, and Stickles glitter.

Card Recipe:
Stamp: SU Garden Whimsy
Paper: Card base brand unknown, SU Purely Pomegranate
Ink: Colorbox Petal Points Pinwheel Arboretum (pigment ink)
Accessories: Darice rhinestones, Stickles Glitter

Insructions:

1. Ink images using the "Rock and Roll" Technique (Click Here for SCS tutorial)

2. Glue rhinestones to butterfly image

3. Doodle the butterfly trail and add stickles to the butterfly and trail dots.

4. Mat the stamped sentiment with Purely Pomegranate cardstock then mount on to card base with foam tape.

5. Glue the rhinestone on to the matted sentimet.

This is a close up of the card. Can you see the Stickles glitter? Stickles glitter is becoming quite popular from what I've read on a few blogs. I found it interesting because Stickles glitter have been around for such a long time. I've purchased my first Stickles glitter about 4 years ago.



Here is a few tips when using Stickles. Use it for detail work meaning don't use it to cover a large area. Stickles are wet glitter so when it dries, it'll warp your cardstock and it'll look ugly. If you're going to cover a large area, it's preferable that you use something like SU Heat & Stick, clear embossing powder, or repositional glue to stick FINE glitter.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute card and great crafting goals! Hope you have a wonderful new years! -Samantha

Betsy said...

Top ten? I'm not sure I have that many...here's my resolutions for crafting:
1.Send RAKs (a couple a month)
2.update blog with photos
3.make cards so I have extra on hand and bday cards aren't late
4.use more sketches
5.enter more contests (for TAC demos)
6.use what I already have
7.don't buy unless I know EXACTLY what I'll use it for
8.play more!

That's only 8 but that's all I have. Thanks for sharing and good luck keeping up with yourself in the New Year! Just came up with #9- Keep up with the SBS2 sisters!!

Anonymous said...

a
Thanks for sharing your list--here is mine.
1. Make all the month's bday cards on the first of each month.
2. Try a new tech/fold etc. at least once a week.
3. Purge--some stamp sets I did not use for at least 1 year.
4. Use some of the items I have purchased and not used at all.
5. Practice ribbon tying till I get it right.
6. Send more RAKS.
7. Make cards out of the many card fronts I have for my sister's nursing home.
8. Stop hoarding ribbon.
9. Make at least Christmas card every week.
10. Spend less time on the computer looking and more time in my craft area creating.
Darlene L

2 Worlds said...

I dont like to set things that will make me frustated later, I dont think with university and all things going on I can set up 10 things, but I just want to improve more the style I want and scrapbook the more 100 pictures I've printed.
thats enough because I have some personal goals to accomplish also, more important actually than crafting.

Debra said...

Hmmmm . . 10 Goals is not so easy:
1. To have a supply of pre made cards ready ahead of when they're needed, so I can have the luxury of choosing which card to give.
2. To play more.
3. Make enough general cards specifically to send to my aunt, who is battling an illness, so that I could send her one every couple of weeks.
4. Make at least 1 Christmas card per week, or make a batch this summer to have ready for Christmas.
5. Make more with my cuttlebug.
6. Try making the wine glass lamp.
7. Expand my horizons and start using different techniques, not necessarily new ones I've never done, just techniques I haven't used.
8. Clean my craft room more often to keep it neat and tidy!
9. Use what I have stashed.
10. Stop being so impulsive at Michael's and only buy what I actually need.
I thought 10 would be difficult but now that I've started I could keep on goin! Thanks for sharing your list and getting me started!

Jules said...

What a very sweet card!
Top ten...lets see.
1. for Jan I am doing a 31 days of negected stamps resolution on my blog, so this will make me use my stamps that havent been used before!
2. I would like to stop hording DP paper and just start using it! It is like it is a treasure.
3. I want to finally do my wedding scrapbook, I have been married 3 years!
4. I would like to get on a design team.
5. I need to organize my studio a little better.
6.I would like to get my x-mas cards done way ahead of time, since i didnt get them mailed out, I goty too busy!!! Shame shame!!
7.I would like to get more involved in challenges.
8. I need to finish all the cards that I have from leftover camps and assemble them so that I have cards on hand.
9. I would like to make more giftable type projects.
10. I would like to make a few sets of glass etched clear glass plates...I have never done those, ya know where you stamp on them then emboss.

Sherry Yeager said...

I also like simple cards, but also like the layers. I keep saying I am going to organize my craft area. Sherry Yeager

Anonymous said...

LOVE the card!!! I am also especially jealous of your Christmas loot!!!! WOW! Want to see pics of the whole craft room. From this angle, very nice and I can't wait to see your first production of video tutorials! I have a camcorder but just too lazy for life video tuts :D

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was too mesmerized by your stuff. I forgot to wish you happy new year. That's what I came here for initially :D:D

Shannon McGann said...

What a beautiful card! I'd love to receive that! Here are my goals (I'm trying to be realistic with the time I have!):
1. Make one card "just for fun" a week (as opposed to my SU! business cards that I have to make for classes, etc.).
2. Participate in two challenges a month.
3. Try two new colour combinations a month.
4. Check out all my bookmarked blogs at least once a week.
5. Post a blog entry at least once a week.
6. Make two scrapbook pages a month.
7. Use more embellishments in my cards.
8. Learn to use heat & stick powder!
9. Use up my scraps (at least four cards a month using scraps)!
10. Purchase and use some Bella stamps (I've seen so many beautiful cards with them, but I'm such a SU! gal, that I never buy anything else! It's time to branch out!).

Thanks for making me think about what I want to accomplish this year! Happy New Year!
Shannon

Diane said...

Great card!!! I love any card weather it be simple or full of layering and embellishments,they're all nice!

Lori said...

Those are great goals for the upcoming year. I'll have to give that some thought. Happy New Year!

Rachel V. said...

Oh Maria! I started writing a long list...which had quite a few the same as yours. Then tonight I made a VERY simple card...and my clean table looks like a bomb went off.

So the only goal for 2008 is to "Clean up in between every project!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tulip card! Love the way the butterfly is positioned just so! Great color on the background too.
Much luck on your NY's resolutions!!!

Cathrine StClair said...

I'm a bit behind - I have not finalized my goals yet - but I have a bunch.

I hear you on the simple cards - so hard for me.

Enjoy those Copics - I only have about 40 - but I LOVE them!

Kim Mraz said...

Your card is gorgeous! :)

I am fairly new to the blogging world and I recently asked my readers to recommend a blog that I can check out. Many of them listed friend's and others chose blogs that inspires them and your blog was put forward. I would like to invite you to come visit my blog, http://paperhugs.typepad.com/ and you will be entered into a drawing to win a sweet RAK. I am so glad that I was informed about your blog. Hope you will come play :) Kim Hughes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |