Sunday, January 2, 2011

Don't Let the Past Steal Your Present


Don't let the past steal your present

There are times when I look at photos I've taken and feel a sense of loss. I feel especially this way when they're photos of good memories, knowing . . . .that one single moment will never occur again in the same way or that I'll never be able to be in that same place ever again. As I've grown older, these feelings have become more intense. Do you sometimes feel the same way?

The sunset photo above is a photo I took a few weeks ago. As I was driving home, I saw this glorious sunset. It was amazingly beautiful. I stopped at the side of the road and took a lot of pictures of the beautiful sunset. Always bring your camera with you. If possible, buy a camera that is small enough to fit in any size purse. Digital cameras are such a blessing. . .you can take an endless amount of photos and not worry about the cost. I ALWAYS have my camera with me. It drives my family crazy when I stop and take photos of what they sometimes see as being insignificant but I don't see it that way.

I took this photo a year ago when we visited the Swiss Alps in Lucerne, Switzerland. When I look at this photo I feel a sense of joy but yet, I know I'll never visit this place again and I think to myself, "I wish that, I should have, if only. . . ." I did take a lot of photos; therefore, I can always look back and experience the feelings I had the moment I took the photo and it does make me smile. It was a wondrous feeling of exhilaration, being so high above the clouds and looking down to see the beauty below, it was epic. I do feel a bit melancholy knowing that unless I win the lottery or a ton of money just happen to land on my lap, I'll probably never visit the Swiss Alps again.

I sometimes want to just have all those single moments given back to me so that I can experience them all over again .....just one more time. If I could, I would live the moment more intensely, be less distracted, and absorb more.

I'd like to share this music video by Revive called "Blink". The lyrics to the song expresses more eloquently what I want to say...




Blink by Revive

Teach me to number my days
And count every moment
Before it slips away
Take in all the colors
Before they fade to grey

I don't want to miss
Even just a second
More of this

It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash
It happens in the time it took to look back
I try to hold on tight, but there's no stopping time
What is it I've done with my life?

It happens in a blink

When it's all said and done
No one remembers
How far we have run
The only thing that matters
Is how we have loved

I don't want to miss
Even just a second
More of this

It happens in a blink

Slow down
Before today becomes
Our yesterday

I do need to live in the present and to remind myself that there will be many more places to see and memorable moments to experience.

I will not let too much of yesterday use up what I could be experiencing today.

With that being said, I hope you all will have a wonderful TODAY.

2 comments:

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

I'm still with you here with your changes. Can't wait to see more. I sometimes feel the same way as you.

Anne Tussing said...

I came for your JUGS card, but read this entry first. I totally understand how you feel. Someone that I trust has always said to me, "Everything is just as it should be." That means that we are capable of living and enjoying the moment to the extent that our life experiences, knowledge, feelings and emotions let us. I'm sure that you enjoy your moments in this way to the fullest that you can!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |