Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Very First Polymer Clay Project/ Earrings

Hi Friends!!! Gosh, I haven't posted anything since Monday. On Tuesday, I had a major allergy attack or something. My nose refused to stop running for 2 days. It's really difficult to craft with a runny nose. I thought it was a cold but my runny nose and sneezing stopped today so I'm assuming it was an allergic reaction to something.

Believe it or not but I started on a new hobby! If you've been reading my blog, you'll note that I've recently started on creating jewelries and I found that charms are very expensive so I wanted to be able to create my own charms, not only because making them my self would be unique, it's also less expensive.

I did a bit of research and I found that working with Polymer Clay was something I could do and looks fairly simple. It's also not very expensive. So, yesterday I went to Joanns and bought some Fimo polymer clay which are on sale right now and decided to work on creating a Plumeria flower.

I do need some practice but these are the first two that I created. It actually was very easy to create. It's just a matter of creating basically a tear drop shape and creating petals which are molded together at the center.

With the flower above, the petals are curved back. I just used a pencil to curl the petals back.


With this flower, the flower is flat with an inner concave. I used a clay tool that has a round ball at the end and I pressed the clay down which created the inner concave design. I saw a few Plumeria polymer clay flowers online and I most definitely need a bit of practice. I hope one day I can create pretty Plumeria flowers like the ones I saw online. I know many of the jewelry makers buy their Plumeria flowers from a manufacturer but I would prefer to make my own. It's just a matter of getting good at it.

If you are unfamiliar with Polymer Clay, there are a lot of websites that provide tutorials and also a bunch of YouTube tutorials. It's like playing with Play-doh. . .it's very simple and very kid friendly. It's a great craft hobby that even your kids could participate in. . .:)

I can't really provide any advise on polymer clay right now because honestly, I don't know much about it. I'll practice more and once I can provide some tips and such, I'll be sure to share it with you.

Hope you all are having a wonderful Thursday!!!!

3 comments:

Tracy.H said...

Love, love, love these, Maria! I was married in Maui and fell in love with Plumeria...they were in my bouquet. These are very pretty! :0)

Gail said...

plumaria's are my favorite flower!

cebelica said...

These are beautiful. I would never guess they were the first earrings you made using the Fimo clay. Wow! I think you did an excellent job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |