Friday, January 9, 2009

My Sketch of Nixon


Hi Everyone! Long before I discovered rubber stamping, I drew. I painted with acrylic and drew with charcoal and pastels. Honestly, I don't like to draw. It hurts my head because I have to concentrate. LOL! Seriously. I do love rubber stamping because the images are drawn for me and all I have to do is color the images. What luxury!

There are days when I think about drawing again but drawing takes time and I can't handle drawing in parts. I'm the sort of person that needs to get things done in one sitting or I lose interest. I'm the same way when I read a book. I have on many occasion stayed up all night just so I can finish a book. Are you that way?

Anyway, I drew Nixon several years ago. I just drew him randomly from a "President" book I was flipping through. Why Nixon. . .no reason in particular. I actually finished Nixon in an hour or so. It was really a quick drawing. I think it was because he was fairly easy to draw. Just to let you know. . .no, I'm not a Nixon fan at all! LOL! Also, when I sign my art work, I sign it with my maiden name. It's my "signature" trademark! LOL! Like an alias. I still sign my cards with my maiden name as well.

Do I consider drawing as a talent of mine? I say no. I can't draw or paint from my own imagination. I have to look at something. For example, I can't draw a realistic looking apple if I don't have an apple in front of me. I can draw the apple from my own imagination but it'll look like what any body else would draw. So, I guess my talent, if any, is that I'm good at following something.

I haven't drawn anything for years other than my doodling on my cards once in a great while. Maybe one day I'll go back to drawing and painting but for now I'll just stick to rubber stamping. It's much more fun.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday!!




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW Maria.... what s great drawing. Very lifelike indeed.

Ida said...

Thanks for sharing. You did a wonderful job on the drawing. It's great to see how people have had different artistic talents besides their stamping.

Tracy.H said...

You did a fantastic job on this drawing, Maria. Even if you need to see something in order to draw it? It is still a talent! Well done and TFS! :0)

Risa said...

You are far too modest Maria, your portrait of Nixon is awesome! You are very talented and TFS!!!
hugs
Risa:)

Stephenie said...

Maria you are extremely talented! I cannot believe all of the details and his wrinkles are amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Jan Scholl said...

You truly captured the slime of the man. Never thought I would see another like him but I did.

Laurie Hines said...

You are very talented! I can't draw a stick man! I know what you mean about having to get everything done in one sitting or you lose interest. That's why I procrastinate so long about painting a room or doing any major job because I usually can't get it done in one day! TFS.

Corie said...

Are you crazy girl -- not a talent of yours -- This is amazing, I think it is definitely a talent of yours :)

Anonymous said...

I have loved your cards. Your ability to put colors together that work is wonderful. Your artistic eye is spot on. But now I find out you have this talent and choose not to think of it as a talent?!! I hope you choose to continue with this gift you've been given. If not now, in another part of your life, when it's calmer. Please don't put it down as whatever, but continue to grow in your knowledge and ability. You have the raw talent to be an extremely accomplished artist. (which you already are). Thank you very much for sharing. Carol L.

Christine said...

I think you are very good at drawing. Even if you have to look at something you still have a talent. Remember all the still life form exercises that we had to do in middle and high school art. Even some of the best artists look at people to paint their portrait. But I do know what you mean. My artistic talent is the same as yours. I have to look at something to draw it. I can't just draw something from memory. My daughter is the same way but actually she has a lot more talent than I have. Anyway, I think what you created was fantastic and you shouldn't think that you don't have talent in drawing. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Maria, you sure are talented.

Elena said...

Wow! You are absolutely amazing and very talented!

Janna said...

OMG!!!! This is amazing!! What a talent you have! I can't even draw a square! This is really incredible! The shading you do is unbelieveable. Now I see why you are so talented at coloring!

Smiles,
Janna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Share |